Retro-To-Go

Australia

Click here to edit subtitle

Defects



I am not biased, but ....


If anyone ever tries to argue that Airstream is as well built as Silver Streak 


I'll simply refer them to this page


Removed the inner roof panels, then the front and rear fibreglass bulkheads.


Six roof struts fell down .... it wasn't  a case of rivets giving way .... they were never connected to the main frame (cross ribs)


In fact several of them were too short and didn't even touch the cross rib!


Where's the quality control during the build?




Five roof struts had pieces tacked together to make the distance between the frame cross ribs. 


There is a total of 5 frame cross ribs supporting the entire shell, but only 3 where one piece side-to-side. 

Those 2 that were made up of half ribs were located through the CENTER section of the trailer. 

What was holding it together in the centre of the trailer... not much!


You've got to be joking ... is this really indicative of the general quality of the product ex the Airstream factory back in 1963?




When removing the roof-mounted air conditioner


There was inadequate structure in the frame to support the weight of an air-con unit ... there was no reinforcement at all. 


One roof strut had severely fractured, several had bowed, and a couple had also popped the rivets at both ends.


As a result, the outer skin was severely buckled by the weight of the air conditioner


Had to reinforce the support struts with box tube sections bracketed to frame ribs


We had intended to simply put a weather seal plate over the air-con hole, but check out the way the air-con hole in the roof had been hacked out ,,, and they left it like that! Daniel had to remove the raised (jagged) metal in order to put a flat weather seal in




Wiring was interesting (to say the least)

Running lights wiring was pinched hard up against the body - no insulators / rubber grommets to be seen - and no fuses in the 12v system ?

Bit of excess wire during the original install? Simply loop it ... WHY?

Every power outlet / appliance connection point had it's own earth wire. We found 3 where the earth had disconnected due to the mount lug having rusted out, and another 2 where it was snapped off (vibration?) 

Just very glad we didn't plug it in to a 120V supply to test any of the appliances !!


Rear window was not fitted ... or should I say most of it. The welds on the top window rail had cracked open. 


Top window rail was still in place on the outside of the trailer, and the rest of the window was on the bed when the trailer arrived


Removed the glass and cleaned up the weld surfaces. 


Has to use a Dremel to clean out the old rock-hard window putty .... what a tedious job!


Painful refit - turned out the top drip-rail (which the window mounts to) had been bent up and squashed, so the window would not pivot correctly. Took a long time to get the window closing properly


Water leaks became an interesting challenge.

Turned out that the amount of twisting in the body had sheered several rivets, and had dislodged heaps of them, meaning that water was seeping in from nearly every seam and frame rib. 

Used 4 tubes of silicone on the inside, and another on the outside, and it took 2 days to get it to a point where we could be comfortable that we had 95% of them rectified .... the remaining 5% are still causing grief!

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.